Happy to meet you, I’m the Zippity Doula!
Zippity Doula seeks to empower all families with evidence-based birth support in all stages of new beginnings. Birth is an awe-inspiring experience- let me enhance your unique experience with compassionate physical and emotional support.
What is a Doula?
A doula is a professional trained in childbirth who can provide emotional, physical and educational support to a person expecting labor, is in labor, or who has recently given birth. A doula’s purpose is to help women have the most information possible to make choices for their most empowering birth experience. Advocacy is a key pillar in a doula’s work.
Evidence-Based Birth published results of a study (Bohren, et.al (2017)) stated that people with a support person providing continuous support were less likely to:
- request pain medication
- request an epidural
- report negative feelings about childbirth or their baby
and MORE likely to:
- have a spontaneous vaginal delivery
- have labor decreased by an average of 40 minutes
- babies were more likely to have higher APGAR scores at birth.
When these results were analyzed, the decrease in use of epidurals and Cesarean section births was attributed to five factors: increased oxytocin, increased mobility, increased self-esteem, decreased pain and decreased anxiety.
How neat, right?
I’m excited to talk more with you about why having a doula at your birth will benefit you and your baby. Get in touch today!
For more information check out http://www.evidencebasedbirth.com/the-evidence-for-doulas
- Bohren, M.A., Hofmeyr, G., Sakala, C., et al. (2017). “Continuous support for women during childbirth.” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD003766.
- Dekker, R. (2017). “Evidence-Based Birth: the evidence for doulas.”http://www.evidencebasedbirth.com/the-evidence-for-doulas.